WORK TOWARD BECOMING A REGISTERED PLAY THERAPIST
DATE, TIME & LOCATION
Saturday and Sunday March 25-26, 2023 10:00 AM-5:30PM
3725 Coolidge Avenue, Oakland 94602
Training will be in-person and limited to 6 participants.. Covid protocols will be followed: up to date vaccinations and masks required. The office is well ventilated; air purifying machine will be used and each person will have their own small desk.
There will be a one hour lunch break and two 15 minute breaks.
This course is designed for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, LEPs, pre-licensed associates and graduate mental health students.
Boik, Barbara & Goodwin, E. Anna (2000). Sandplay Therapy : A Step-By-Step Manual For Psychotherapists Of Diverse Orientations. W. Norton & Co.;
Homeyer, L. & Sweeney, D. (2017) Sandtray Therapy: A Practical Manual. 3rd edition NY: Routledge
Karen Pernet, LSCW, RPT-S has been in practice for over 30 years, specializing in play therapy and sandtray for people of all ages. She uses her training as a Gestalt Therapist and a Somatic Experiencing Practitioner (SEP) to enhance the sandtray experience.Karen has published a chapter on the Gestalt approach in The Relational Heart of Gestalt Therapy. Her trainings have been described as safe, lively, encouraging, responsive to individual needs, informative, interactive and welcoming. One participant said “My experience of creating my first sandtray was one of surprise. I had no idea how deeply the activity could go with such ease.“
- After the training participants will explain how to create a personal sandtray during a play therapy session for teens and adults
- After the training participants will have had the experience of creating a sandtray during a play therapy training focused on sandtray for teens and adults
- After the training participants will be able to describe the skills involved in processing a non-directive sandtray during a play therapy session with teens and adults.
- After the training the participant will be able to state “I had the opportunity to practice the skill of witnessing a non-directive sandtray during the play therapy workshop.”
- After the training the participant will be able to state “I had the opportunity to practice the skill of processing a non-directive sandtray during the play therapy workshop.”
- After the training participants will be able to state at least 4 categories of miniatures that play therapists should have as part of their sandtray collection
- After the training participants will be will be able to describe at least one major difference between the way children and adults use sandtray in play therapy
- After the training participants will be able to list 4 questions and/or observations that play therapists can use in processing sandtrays
- After the training participants will be able to explain in 2 ways sandtray therapy helps a play therapy client (either child or adult) integrate the right and left hemispheres of the brain.
Karen E Pernet, is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, 83403, to sponsor continuing education for LMFT’S, LCSW’S, LPCC’S AND LEP’S. She maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. Growth through Play Therapy is an approved provider for the Association for Play Therapy APT 09-241.This course offers 12 CE credits.
There is an additional $25 charge for CE credits. There is no extra charge for APT educational credits. Partial credit cannot be offered. This workshop and presenter have no conflict of interest in presenting this workshop, nor is there any commercial support.
To request accommodations for special needs, please email the Program Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To obtain the grievance policy or report a grievance please email email@example.com or call 510-923-0520
Course Completion certificates will be awarded at the end of the course in exchange for a completed evaluation form. Course meets the qualifications for 12 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Full refund if canceled 45 days before training, minus $75 administrative fee; after that date there will be no refund unless space is filled from the waiting list; in that case there will be a $75 administrative fee. If the training is cancelled by Growth through Play Therapy due to insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen event, a full refund will be given unless the participant confirms by e-mail that they are registering for another class.
Unfortunately we are unable to reimburse travel expenses, such as airfares or hotels in the event that the training.
Contact Karen at 510-923-0520 or firstname.lastname@example.org