This workshop will discuss the various Latinx/Latine identities and intersectionality using the multicultural addressing framework. This workshop will also provide concepts, interventions, and themes that will help clinicians provide culturally inclusive practices for clients of Latinx/Latine heritage. Additionally it will also include play interventions that can be done with individuals and families with free-to-low cost items. Interventions can be done in-person or via telehealth.
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Have a deeper understanding of ways individuals may identify in order to have deeper discussions with clients about family background.
- Incorporate cultural inclusivity in their space as well as in their practice.
- Identify and incorporate play therapy tools and interventions to help drive the therapeutic process forward with Latinx/Latine clients.
* Participants will be able to demonstrate effective use of the ADDRESSING framework to discuss client identity and background.
* Identify at least three play interventions to demonstrate cultural inclusivity in their space as well as in their practice.adapted for the Latinx/Latine population that can be used in different phases of treatment.
* Identify and utilize at least 3 play therapy tools and interventions to help drive the therapeutic process forward with Latinx/Latine clients
- Participants will be able to utilize different traditional cultural games in order to provide culturally inclusive practices for their Latinx/Latine clients.
- Participants will also be able to use what they learned in the training to create a better understanding and case conceptualization of the intersectionality of their Latinx/Latine clients.
- Participants will be able to adapt their games and spaces in order to be more inclusive therapeutic spaces for their clients.
Techniques included this training consists of a 3-hour PowerPoint presentation, videos, and experiential activities. The experiential activities provide participants the opportunity to try out new interventions before implementing with their own clients.
Part 1 – Identities and Background
9:00 am – Introductions
9:20 am – ADDRESSING Model
9:30 am – Identities and Terminology
9:50 am – Traditional Healers
10:00 am – Dichos and Valores
10:15-10:30 am Names and experiential activity
Part 2 – Inclusive Play Room and Practices
10:45 am – Culture Specific vs Culture NonSpecific
10:55 am – Areas to Consider
11:00 -12:15 pm-Experiential
- Toys/Materials and Experiential Activities
- Imaginative Play / Dress Up
- Doll House and Experiential Activity
- Food and Experiential Activity
- Walls/Decorations and Experiential Activity
- Fabrics and Waiting Room
- Moving Forward
Trainer: Cristal Alvarado, LMFT, RPT
Cristal Alvarado is an RPT, and LMFT with an MA in Counseling Psychology and Correctional Emphasis. Cristal currently works with at-risk youth and Hayward families at the Hayward Police Department. Cristal previously worked with First Five in East San Jose and has been practicing play therapy for the last 5 years. Cristal currently provides play therapy trainings to agencies in the San Francisco Bay area. She has the innate ability to establish rapport quickly, build trust and effectively communicate in both English and Spanish.
Questions about the content of the training / Contact: Cristal Alvarado email@example.com
Administrative questions: Contact Karen Pernet firstname.lastname@example.org
This course is designed for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, LEPs, pre-licensed associates and graduate mental health students.
None….except an interest in expanding your play therapy repertoire
Date and Time June 18, 2022 9:00AM-12:15PM
Location: 3725 Coolidge Ave. Oakland, CA 94602
Karen E Pernet is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, 83403, to sponsor continuing education for LMFT’S, LCSW’S, LPCC’S AND LEP’S. She maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content. There is an additional $25 charge for CEs.
Growth through Play Therapy is an approved provider for the Association for Play Therapy APT 09-241. There is no extra charge for APT CEs.
Partial credit cannot be offered.
Course Completion certificates will be awarded at the end of the course in exchange for a completed evaluation form. Course meets the qualifications for 3 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Course meets the qualifications for 3 hours of educational credits for Association for Play Therapy.
Conflict of Interest
This workshop and presenter have no conflict of interest in presenting this workshop, nor is there any commercial support.
To request accommodations for special needs, please email the Program Administrator at email@example.com
To obtain the grievance policy or report a grievance please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 510-923-0520
Full refund if canceled 30 days before training, minus $25 administrative fee; after that date there will be no refund unless space is filled from the waiting list.
In the event that the training is canceled for lack of participants or circumstances beyond our control, there will be a full refund of the fee. Travel expenses cannot be covered, unfortunately.