Advanced Child-Centered Play Therapy builds upon the basic skills of Child Centered Play to provide a deeper understanding of the application and use of play therapy. Discussions will review the significance of play and the powers of play in child therapy in connecting the tangible (experience) with the intangible (abstract thought) and the use of relationship and therapist skills in using observed and felt experiences to encourage client growth and understanding. Additional topics include use of assessment criteria and play themes to understand and conceptualize play and communicate progress and use the principles and skills of Child-Centered Play in managing an array of common but challenging client playroom behaviors. The workshop will also explore the importance of personal congruence and professional skills (person-of-the-therapist concept).
TIME, DATE AND LOCATION
Training will be in-person and limited to 6 participants.. Covid protocols will be followed. The office is well ventilated; air purifying machine will be used and each person will have their own small desk.
9:30AM-5:00 PM Saturday September 9, 2023 3725 Coolidge Avenue, Oakland 94602. There will be a one hour lunch break and a 15 minute break in the morning and afternoon.
This course is designed for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, LEPs and pre-licensed associates
PREREQUISITES: Training and experience in Child Centered Play Therapy
- Identify the four basic skills of Child-Centered Play and their utilization in supporting advanced skills
- Explain three ways that play and play therapy can be used to link and support client’s ability to process and cognitively organize their real-life experiences.
- Explain the use of encouragement vs praise in Child-Centered Play and how it is used to support children’s increased self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Be able to effectively identify two methods for assessing client progress
- Recognize and make greater use of themes in Child-Centered Play Therapy as a means for understanding and conceptualizing child play and as the basis for communicating meaning and progress to parents/caregivers.
- Identify 3-4 common but challenging client behaviors and explain how they can be managed within Child-Centered Play.
- Explain what is meant by “person of the therapist” and use of this concept in all aspects of our therapeutic process with clients.
- Identify two challenges to deepening trust and connection with the client.
- Identify three benefits of collaborating with parents in setting and reviewing therapy goals.
PRESENTER: Jeannette Harroun, LMFT, RPT-S
Jeannette Harroun is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in California and Arizona and a registered play therapist-supervisor. She is in private practice, is a trainer/partner with Growth Through Play Training Associates and a clinical supervisor both through her practice and with the Wright Institute in Berkeley, CA. Her play therapy training includes intensive and advanced coursework in child-centered play, sandtray and filial therapy
CONTINUING EDUCATION: This course meets the qualifications for 6 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCC, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Growth Through Play Therapy is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, 1032322, to sponsor continuing education for LMFT’S, LCSW’S, LPCC’S AND LEP’S. They maintain responsibility for this program/course and its content. 12 CEs-$25 additional charge. Purchase separately.
Growth through Play Therapy is an approved provider for the Association for Play Therapy APT 09-241. There is no extra charge for APT CEs. Partial credit cannot be offered
COURSE COMPLETION CERTIFICATE: will be awarded at the end of the course in exchange for a completed evaluation form. Course meets the qualifications for 6 hours of continuing education credit for LMFT’s, LCSW’s, LPCC’s and LEP’s as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences
CANCELLATION POLICY: Full refund minus a $50 administrative fee if canceled at least 30 days in advance. After that date there will be no refund unless space is filled from the waiting list. In that case, the payment will be refunded minus the administrative fee. If the training is cancelled by Growth through Play Therapy due to insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen event, a full refund will be given unless the participant confirms by e-mail that they are registering for another class.Unfortunately we are unable to reimburse travel expenses, such as airfares or hotels in the event that the training is cancelled.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST: This workshop and presenter have no conflict of interest in presenting this workshop, nor is there any commercial support.
ACCOMMODATIONS: To request accommodations for special needs, please email Karen Pernet email@example.com or call 510-923-0520
GRIEVANCES: To obtain the grievance policy or report a grievance please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 510-923-0520